Does Sparky write songs?
June 03, 2012 12:36:03 PM UTC Post #11

Hey Road Fatigue, thanks for making my point!

So let me repeat myself here: "so the core band members like to keep writing and publishing royalties for themselves and usually do not let just anyone write songs for them."

And then you post some writing credits which show exactly what I just said- that the CORE band members KEEP writing to themselves.

And almost without exception every song you posted the credits on show the core band members doing what? Keeping writing credits to themselves for the most part exactly as I said. And yes there are a few others thrown in there, and the same would happen to old Sparky if he were to write anything. Medlocke, Rossington, and Van Zant would have to get their names on it too.

And as for the name distinction on the band after the tribute tour era, that was because of the 1978 blood oath agreement signed by Gary, Allen, Judy, and Teresa which stipulated they would never again use the name of Lynyrd Skynyrd on its own again for a band WITHOUT Ronnie Van Zant, and it was Allen Collins who forced this upon the new band once they left the tribute tour era, and it was only after Allen died that the clause came off the name due to behind closed doors agreements.

June 03, 2012 12:44:09 PM UTC Post #12

=Road Fatigue said:
This is also not true. Without going into the business end let me just say that Judy Van Zant - Grondin - Jenness - ? has more pull than you think. Then there are the trusts. Many people depend on this band touring.


Please do "go into the business" because I'd be the first to say that Gary can play whatever he wants to and for anyone to say that Judy is telling Gary Rossington what to play is absurd and untrue.

And as for the business end Judy and the estates make the lion share of their income off of royalties and not from Gary's touring income since he spends quite a bit on touring expenses does not leave a whole lot left over for the estates, but as long as there is a band out there touring under the name and keeping the interest in the band alive it beefs up MCA royalties.

Without a band out there touring sales dropped off to less than one million units per year, but with a band out there sales consistently exceed several million per year. The estates do get some from merchandising, but not a whole lot. Their biggest income is from MCA, not Gary's touring profits. Why do you think Gary Rossington hired someone like Gary Haber? Come on!

Gary can play whatever he wants to and Judy and Larkin and Teresa have virtually zero control over what Gary Rossington plays out there. It is his band and he is boss of his band even though he is under business arrangements with the estates they do not control his music. I can't believe you would suggest such a thing.

June 03, 2012 6:05:52 PM UTC Post #13

=ArtimusFan said:
=Road Fatigue said:
This is also not true. Without going into the business end let me just say that Judy Van Zant - Grondin - Jenness - ? has more pull than you think. Then there are the trusts. Many people depend on this band touring.


Please do "go into the business" because I'd be the first to say that Gary can play whatever he wants to and for anyone to say that Judy is telling Gary Rossington what to play is absurd and untrue.

And as for the business end Judy and the estates make the lion share of their income off of royalties and not from Gary's touring income since he spends quite a bit on touring expenses does not leave a whole lot left over for the estates, but as long as there is a band out there touring under the name and keeping the interest in the band alive it beefs up MCA royalties.

Without a band out there touring sales dropped off to less than one million units per year, but with a band out there sales consistently exceed several million per year. The estates do get some from merchandising, but not a whole lot. Their biggest income is from MCA, not Gary's touring profits. Why do you think Gary Rossington hired someone like Gary Haber? Come on!

Gary can play whatever he wants to and Judy and Larkin and Teresa have virtually zero control over what Gary Rossington plays out there. It is his band and he is boss of his band even though he is under business arrangements with the estates they do not control his music. I can't believe you would suggest such a thing.


You really don't know much about the band, do you? Did you know Judy and Teresa are voting shareholders in the band? Do you know why Artie isn't in the band now? Do you know what happened that caused him to be let go? Maybe you don't know as much as you think. A bit of advice, take everything "KG" says with a grain of salt.








I'm Back You Bastards!

June 03, 2012 8:05:16 PM UTC Post #14

=Road Fatigue said:@jam56: The band is called Triple Shot.
Thank you. I thought the name had the number three in it but couldn't pull it out of the mental files.

June 03, 2012 8:55:07 PM UTC Post #15

=Road Fatigue said:Do any of you know the reason for the band touring under the names,

Lynyrd Skynyrd 1988
Lynyrd Skynyrd 1989
Lynyrd Skynyrd 1990
Lynyrd Skynyrd 1991
Lynyrd Skynyrd 1992?

Let's see who knows this answer.



Yeah, because the original deal with Judy et al, and when Allen was alive, was that the band was NEVER to be called just "Lynyrd Skynyrd" again.

________________________________________
I drink enough whiskey to float a battleship around

June 03, 2012 10:16:31 PM UTC Post #16

=Road Fatigue said:
You really don't know much about the band, do you? Did you know Judy and Teresa are voting shareholders in the band? Do you know why Artie isn't in the band now? Do you know what happened that caused him to be let go? Maybe you don't know as much as you think. A bit of advice, take everything "KG" says with a grain of salt.


Do you have any idea how many separate corporations Gary uses to operate his band with? More than one. Some say close to a dozen or more. Some incorporated in Florida, some in Delaware, Nevada and probably other states too, and if you think Judy and Teresa are voting members in all of those corps you would sadly wrong. Their only connection is over the use of the name of Lynyrd Skynyrd and in that they share a business, so yes Judy and Teresa are "in business" with Gary through contract agreements for certain things, but not all things, but for you to sit there and try and say that they control anything Gary plays is absurd. I can picture in my mind now Judy and Teresa voting on what Gary should play as though he has to be allowed to play his guitar! I can assure you Judy and Teresa have NOTHING to do with whatever Gary chooses to play on his guitar and with his band. That is one line they do not and can not cross.

Have you ever read the 1988 lawsuit Judy filed against Gary? If you had things would be more clear for you.

And yes I know why Artimus is not in the band now. I have known him for decades. And he was not let go. He blew up on the band in Toronto. He went up one side and down the other on the band before the show and they gave him their answer on stage and pissed him off and he blew up in front of the crowd while performing and quit right then and there on the spot throwing his torn up drums around on stage. How do I know? Because I have sat with him face to face and he told me this is how it happened. So you might want to get your facts straight. The band can say after the blowup they let him go, but in reality he quit right there on stage during his blow up and that's the truth right straight from his own mouth. How about you? Have you met Artimus and heard him tell you this story firsthand? I have.

I'm still laughing my ass off that Judy and Teresa tell Gary what to play on his guitar with votes! Hilarious! I will have to bring this up next time I see them so we can all get a laugh out of it.

You ever hear of agree to disagree and leave it at that?

June 03, 2012 11:57:38 PM UTC Post #17

=ArtimusFan said:
=Road Fatigue said:I'm still laughing my ass off that Judy and Teresa tell Gary what to play on his guitar with votes! Hilarious! I will have to bring this up next time I see them so we can all get a laugh out of it.


Bring it up the next time you see who? I

________________________________________
I drink enough whiskey to float a battleship around

June 04, 2012 6:30:57 AM UTC Post #18

@ArtimusFan: I figured as much, you really don't know. Do you know why the "Rule of Three" ended? It plays right along to why the set list are the way they are now. Care to guess why Brusco is no longer managing the band? I'll give you a hint, the same person is responsible for all the above. The suit from '88, most of it is no longer in play.

In order for the "3" rule to fall certain consessions were made. That's as far as I'm willing to go, but read between the lines if you wish

I kinow about several corporations Gary has, so what? He has a new one with Dale for the CD he and Dale cut. He had one for his writting I believe with Travis Tritt. He also has many ASCAP. I don't see the issue. As far as Judy and Teresa goes, you tied that together, not me. I said they were voting shareholders. As far as what Gary plays, again, read between the lines.

If you talk to Gary just tell him "Bubba California" said hello. He'll know who you mean.








I'm Back You Bastards!

Post your comment

You must be logged in to comment

Please sign up for an account or current members login.