Does Sparky write songs?
May 30, 2012 11:49:27 PM UTC Post #1

Skynyrd will always be my favorite band. I think this line up is rock solid. Sparky is a nice fit in the Strat slot but does he write any songs? Seems like the time between records is getting longer and longer and when they do make a new record they play 2 songs from it, max. Would people really be upset if they played SHA, Bird, GTS, Smell, and the rest JVZ era songs? If only for part of a tour?


May 31, 2012 8:57:43 PM UTC Post #1

=justafan233 said:Skynyrd will always be my favorite band. I think this line up is rock solid. Sparky is a nice fit in the Strat slot but does he write any songs? Seems like the time between records is getting longer and longer and when they do make a new record they play 2 songs from it, max. Would people really be upset if they played SHA, Bird, GTS, Smell, and the rest JVZ era songs? If only for part of a tour?
Would people be upset? Somebody somewhere would find some reason to be upset no matter what they did, how they did it, why they did it, or how long they did it. If they change something "How dare they change that!" If they keep things the same "It's always the same!" Oh well, people are people wherever you go....But while we are on the subject of complaining (while I'm complaining about complaining) I've often wondered if the Allman Brothers Band got the same kind of lip for not folding up and disappearing when Duane died that Skynyrd has gotten for going on in spite of losses. Anyone remember?

June 02, 2012 7:06:23 PM UTC Post #2

=jam56 said:
=justafan233 said:I've often wondered if the Allman Brothers Band got the same kind of lip for not folding up and disappearing when Duane died that Skynyrd has gotten for going on in spite of losses. Anyone remember?


Well, there was no internet then for one thing. If there had been, you can be sure a sh!tstorm would have erupted.

That being said, and not to take ANYTHING away from Duane, he was just one (albeit very important) member of the band. I DO remember when Ed King left Skynyrd, and although there was again, no internet, I remember people saying the band won't be the same. And, like it or not, in many peoples minds this opinion was reinforced with the release of Bullets, certainly considered by many to be their weakest studio album (although some of my favorite LS tunes are on it). If it had been Allen or Gary who left or died, it probably would have been worse (the criticism I mean).

Although so many people try to lump the ABB together with LS, those in the know understand how vastly different the two bands are and have always been. The music & the vibe of the ABB is such that it has easily stood the test of time and the numerous versions of the band that have existed. Their following is not unlike that of the Dead in many ways, IMHO.

I believe that Gary has every right to go on doing what he is doing. Just as any fan has the right to support it, or not to. Matter of personal choice. I will say that I think Gary & company being out there on the road does a lot to introduce new fans to the music of the original band, and that's a good thing. If you go to a Skynyrd show these days, many of the folks in the audience were clearly not even born the day the Freebird fell. If Gary wasn't keeping the music alive, would Skynyrd be as iconic today as they are? Open to debate certainly.

________________________________________
I drink enough whiskey to float a battleship around

June 02, 2012 10:34:59 PM UTC Post #3

I just wondered because ABB is "Allman Brothers" and they lost an Allman brother. LS wasn't the actual name of anyone they lost. So it seemed to me they should get just as bent out of shape over ABB as over LS. Silly of me to think that matters but I have always wondered about it. I agree about the Internet making a difference in it and I also agree that they wouldn't have the new fans if Gary wasn't still out there. The one thing that has always bothered me about the "controversy", if you want to call it that, is what seems to me to be the sheer heartlessness of it. I mean, if there is anybody at all on the face of the earth who really, truly wishes with all their heart and soul that Ronnie could still be out there singing it would have to be the guy who is currently in that spot. What is wrong with people's heads? We just don't always get what we want. So we have to make the best of what we do have and enjoy it. Ok, enough preaching......

June 02, 2012 10:35:17 PM UTC Post #4

=justafan233 said:Sparky is a nice fit in the Strat slot but does he write any songs?


If he does they will not be released as Lynyrd Skynyrd songs. A lot of people do not realize that for a band like Skynyrd to let other people write the songs means those people get paid more if the songs sell, so the core band members like to keep writing and publishing royalties for themselves and usually do not let just anyone write songs for them. So if Sparky is to write any songs he would more than likely have to release them as a solo project.

=justafan233 said:when they do make a new record they play 2 songs from it, max.


That is because most of the fans pay to hear the original Skynyrd's songs. Gary has learned from experience that when they try to play new songs that the fans do not accept those songs as well as the old songs and they have watched from the stage as fans lose interest and turn around and turn their backs on the band and go get a beer or use the bathroom so they can get back in their place to hear the end of the set with original band classics like SHA and FreeBird.

So from experience Gary's band has learned to carefully limit the new material so they don't lose the crowd.

=justafan233 said:Would people really be upset if they played SHA, Bird, GTS, Smell, and the rest JVZ era songs? If only for part of a tour?


I doubt if the fans would be upset over it, but again the band would be worried about losing the crowd a majority of whom come for the old classics. So they really have to be careful to balance the old and new music in a way that they do not lose the crowd completely.

June 03, 2012 1:08:35 AM UTC Post #5

@ArtimusFan: Thank you...I wondered about that. I remember Ean saying in an interview that LS already had their writers so that is why he was doing a side project (or it was something like that) and I wondered why he couldn't write with them,too.

June 03, 2012 1:16:24 AM UTC Post #6

It was quite a while back, but McSkynyrd had some links to Sparky in two other bands, one with Brady Seals (Hot Apple Pie may have been the name-they were a country band) and another one that was Sparky and two other people (I forget the name). I don't know if he wrote anything with them or not, but if you really want to know, those are out there somewhere. McSkynyrd are you out there???

June 03, 2012 6:38:53 AM UTC Post #7

@jam56: The band is called Triple Shot.








I'm Back You Bastards!

June 03, 2012 6:50:52 AM UTC Post #8

=ArtimusFan said:
=justafan233 said:Sparky is a nice fit in the Strat slot but does he write any songs?


If he does they will not be released as Lynyrd Skynyrd songs. A lot of people do not realize that for a band like Skynyrd to let other people write the songs means those people get paid more if the songs sell, so the core band members like to keep writing and publishing royalties for themselves and usually do not let just anyone write songs for them. So if Sparky is to write any songs he would more than likely have to release them as a solo project.


Not true by a long shot.

Here's the writing credits on Vicious Cycle.

"That's How I Like It" (Rossington, Van Zant, Thomasson, Medlocke, Blair)

"Pick Em Up" (Van Zant, Medlocke, Hambridge)

"Dead Man Walkin'" (Rossington, Van Zant, Medlocke, Thomasson, Bowe)


"The Way" (Rossington, Van Zant, Medlocke, Thomasson)

"Red White & Blue (Love it or Leave)" (Van Zant, Van Zant, Warren, Warren)

"Sweet Mama" (Rossington, Van Zant, Medlocke, Thomasson)

"All Funked Up" (Rossington, Van Zant, Medlocke, Thomasson, Peterik)

"Hell or Heaven" (Rossington, Van Zant, Medlocke, Peterik)

"Mad Hatter" (Rossington, Van Zant, Medlocke, Thomasson, Tom Hambridge)

"Rockin' Little Town" (Rossington, Van Zant, Medlocke, Thomasson, Hambridge)

"Crawl" (Rossinton, Van Zant, Medlocke, Thomasson, Peterik)

"Jake" (Rossington, Van Zant, Medlocke, Thomasson, Hambridge)

"Life's Lessons" (Rossinton, Van Zant, Medlocke, Thomasson, Peterik)

"Lucky Man" (Rossinton, Van Zant, Medlocke, Thomasson)

"Gimme Back My Bullets" (Van Zant, Collins)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's the writing credits on God and Guns.

"Still Unbroken" (Rossington, Van Zant, Medlocke, Thomasson)

"Simple Life" (Rossington, Van Zant, Medlocke, Steele)

"Little Thing Called You" (Rossington, Van Zant, Medlocke, Lowery)

"Southern Ways" (Van Zant, Medlocke, Lowery, Marlette)

"Skynyrd Nation" (Van Zant, Medlocke, Lowery, Marlette)

"Unwrite that Song" (Rossington, Van Zant, Medlocke, Steele, Mullins)

"Floyd" (feat. Rob Zombie) (Rossington, Van Zant, Medlocke, Lowery)

"That Ain't My America" (Rossington, Van Zant, Medlocke, Warren, Warren)

"Comin' Back For More" (Rossington, Van Zant, Medlocke, Daly)

"God & Guns" (Jones, Meadows, Tower)

"Storm" (Rossington, Van Zant, Medlocke, Lowery, Marlette)

"Gifted Hands" (Rossington, Van Zant, Medlocke, Lowery, Marlette)



Like I said....








I'm Back You Bastards!

June 03, 2012 7:44:25 AM UTC Post #9

=ArtimusFan said:
=justafan233 said:when they do make a new record they play 2 songs from it, max.


That is because most of the fans pay to hear the original Skynyrd's songs. Gary has learned from experience that when they try to play new songs that the fans do not accept those songs as well as the old songs and they have watched from the stage as fans lose interest and turn around and turn their backs on the band and go get a beer or use the bathroom so they can get back in their place to hear the end of the set with original band classics like SHA and FreeBird.

So from experience Gary's band has learned to carefully limit the new material so they don't lose the crowd.



This is also not true. Without going into the business end let me just say that Judy Van Zant - Grondin - Jenness - ? has more pull than you think. Then there are the trusts. Many people depend on this band touring.








I'm Back You Bastards!

June 03, 2012 8:03:26 AM UTC Post #10

Do any of you know the reason for the band touring under the names,

Lynyrd Skynyrd 1988
Lynyrd Skynyrd 1989
Lynyrd Skynyrd 1990
Lynyrd Skynyrd 1991
Lynyrd Skynyrd 1992?

Let's see who knows this answer.








I'm Back You Bastards!

Post your comment

You must be logged in to comment

Please sign up for an account or current members login.